Call For A Consultation: 913-721-6067

August 2017 Archives

Reasons for terminating parental rights

Kansas parents may lose parental rights in certain circumstances. They may also voluntarily give them up. Involuntary termination of parental rights may happen if the parent is abusive, cannot care for the child because of disability, has an alcohol or drug problem that interferes with the ability to care for the child, has been incarcerated, or if another child in the parent's care has died.

Meeting the financial challenges of divorce

When Kansas couples end their marriage and there is a significant income disparity between the two, this can mean the person with the lower income needs to make a financial plan for the future. More often, the lower-earning party is a woman because women's incomes still lag behind men at around 82 cents to the dollar. There are a number of reasons for this, but one is that women tend to be more likely to take over care-giving duties for children or older relatives. This means that they may have to work fewer hours. In turn, they have fewer opportunities for career advancement and are less able to save money.

Costly divorce errors with premature property division

Though negotiations over property division in Kansas and around the country are often stressful, the nuts and bolts of dividing some assets are actually quite simple. One example of this is the joint bank account. Even though either spouse can close a joint account at any time, it is important to be prudent about such decisions prior to a divorce.

What type of custody arrangement will best suit your children?

Like other Kansas residents, you may still be in shock that your spouse told you that he or she wants a divorce. You may be confused, hurt and angry. In those first days, and perhaps weeks, after hearing this news, you may want to lash out, which is perfectly normal.

Legal counsel is helpful when spousal support issues arise

When you and your spouse file for divorce, there will be many issues that the two of you need to discuss and, ultimately, settle. One of these could be spousal support (often called alimony), though it will depend on your specific circumstances. Not every divorce has spousal support involved. It will be up to a judge to determine if spousal support should be involved in your divorce.

Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy